Advanced Insulation specialises in the manufacture and supply of unique insulation and fire protection systems. We are looking for a Research and Development Technician to join our R&D team, based in Gloucester, to support new product development projects and technical support activities. The role is incredibly varied and exciting with tasks changing from day-to-day. The role will involve supporting development chemists and engineers with the preparation of test samples. Test samples range from small-scale bench-sized pieces to large specimens that require large-scale, full production, manufacturing techniques so we are requiring candidates who are proactive self-starting problem-solvers who can work well in a team. Any training and development that may be necessary for the successful candidate to complete the role will be provided.
The Material Technician role include:
- Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Quality and Health and Safety procedures and maintaining a clean and tidy work area.
- Manufacturing to exact standards samples for sales, in-house and external testing.
- Undertaking in-house testing and validation of products.
- Supporting with product, process and equipment development.
- Undertaking application and commissioning trials.
- Hand preparation and laminating of composite materials.
- Manufacturing of wooden moulds.
- Organising and managing storage of samples, materials and tools/equipment.
Skills and Experience / Qualifications:
- Problem-solver. Self-starter.
- Can assess risks and works with Health and Safety at the forefront of their mind.
- Willingness and capability to learn.
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent qualification.
- Experience with use of manufacturing and processing equipment (e.g. mixers, presses, pressure vessels etc.).
- Familiar with machine shop and wood working tools.
- Experience of working with composites.
- Expertise in spraying (e.g. fire protection coatings, paints, fibre glass infused resins). Experience using Graco Mark V spray pump (or equivalent).
- Holding a Forklift and/or Bendi Forklift licence.
- Experience in the use of a furnace