With over 15 year’s of research, testing and field research, our ContraFlame® system does not rely upon any chemical or physical changes when exposed to fire. One of the benefits of being a truly passive fire protection system are that the system has a much wider tolerance to service temperatures than other conventional passive fire protection materials. Using JF120 as the base system, we have developed a range of systems using phenolic resin.
Advanced Insulation’s ContraFlame® C50 material used in ContraFlame JF120 is a multifunctional composite system based on unique phenolic syntactic foam and phenolic glass reinforced laminate which combine to provide fire protection and thermal insulation. ContraFlame® passive fire protection system is backed by more than fifteen years of research, testing and field experience. It is a truly passive system not relying on any chemical or physical changes when exposed to fire. As a result, the material has a much wider tolerance to service temperatures than other conventional passive fire protection materials. Phenolic materials are widely used in high temperature applications, such as brake lining and heat shields, and have excellent performance when exposed to fire with regard to both durability and low smoke or toxic fume emissions. Phenolic resin is the acknowledged first choice resin system for elevated temperature service conditions and therefore Advanced Insulation chose it as the base of the entire ContraFlame® JF120 system.
- Syntactic Phenolic Foam: The heart of the new ContraFlame® JF120 system is the improved version of our ContraFlame® C50 cold curing syntactic foam. ContraFlame® C50 has a closed cell structure, so it is highly resistant to water permeation in the event of any accidental damage and exposure.
- Phenolic Laminate Topcoat: The ContraFlame® JF120 system includes an all-phenolic two-part topcoat developed by Advanced Insulation. It comprises 3-5mm of glass reinforced D2004 phenolic resin system. This composite top skin is applied to the surface of the ContraFlame® C50 foam forming an extremely robust outer skin with high resistance to jet fire ablation. The ContraFlame® JF120 system is normally finished with a decorative paint finish.
- Both ContraFlame® C50 and D2004 are cold curing systems.
- Jet fire passive fire protection to 120 minutes (J120)
- Hydrocarbon pool fire passive fire protection to 180 minutes (H180)
- Blast overpressure resistance up to 4.2 bar
- Thermal conductivity is 0.05Wm-1K-1 at 25°C which is comparable with cellular glass or dry Rockwool
- Low cured density 270 – 330kgm-3
- Closed cell structure
- Tolerance to elevated service temperatures (185ºC)
- Tolerance to very low service temperatures (-196ºC)
- Robust energy-absorbing structure with excellent impact resistance
- Excellent water resistance
- Resistance to extreme thermal shock (ΔT = 300°C in 10 minutes)
- Negligible smoke and fumes in fire conditions
- Will not propagate flame
- Ambient curing
- Joint less system which solves CUI issues
- Long term protection of offshore assets
Advanced Insulation’s ContraFlame® MS400 material is a multifunctional composite system based on unique phenolic syntactic foam and phenolic glass reinforced laminate which combine to provide fire protection and thermal insulation. MS400 is an award winning lightweight phenolic foam panel system developed by Advanced Insulation to provide significant weight savings to the oil and gas industry. The system is unique in that the panels are dry-fit and can cover both deck plate or bulkhead plate and all stiffeners and primary and secondary structural members. Because there is zero welding required, there is no compromise to the corrosion coating. The system is simply bonded in place and mechanically strengthened using helical screws. The MS400 system is becoming a popular choice due to its weight saving properties and has been specified on many large topside builds. It’s significant weight savings made it the winner of the smart product award at London’s EEF Manufacturing Awards.
- Up to 50% weight saving when compared with other underdeck insulation and PFP materials
- H120 fire protection to 120 minutes (H120) on underdeck applications
- H60 fire protection (H60) on bulkhead and underdeck applications
- Jet fire high heat flux HHF 60 minutes (High heat flux 356 kW/m²)
- H120 (Loaded I-Section Steel Beam test – Defined by BS476:20:1987)
- Blast protection at 107mm thickness up to 1 bar when bonded to a 8mm steel plate
- The system at 73mm weighs just 9.3kg/m² and at 110mm weighs 12.5kg/m²
- MS400 has been rigorously tested in line with offshore oil and gas requirements which includes smoke, toxicity and flame spread
- The outer skin has the added benefit of being tested to ISO 20340 – weathering in offshore environments including 6 months of cycles containing salt spray and UV exposure
- The D2004 laminate provides a jointless topcoat designed for marine environments and can withstand harsh conditions of wind, wave slam, frost and heat
- Thermal conductivity: 0.032W/m²K
- MS400 density: 80kg/m³
- MS400 U-Value: 0.3 at 107mm thickness, 0.45 at 70mm thickness
- MS400 at 110mm thickness provides Acoustic Noise Reduction of 50 dB – Bonded to a 8mm steel plate ISO 1014
Advanced Insulation’s ContraFlame® C20 material is a unique syntactic silicone that provides combined fire protection and thermal insulation on structures that require flexure. ContraFlame C20 flexible silicone passive fire protection provides integrated insulation and PFP capable of withstanding harsh offshore weather conditions whilst providing high integrity corrosion protection. The system is based on a unique syntactic silicone, moulded directly onto flexible riser pipework, cast into moulds for dry fix applications or supplied in sheet form . This system provides flexibility where rigid type PFP systems are not suitable and excellent resistance to jet and pool fire scenarios. C20 is a flexible PFP material that is capable of absorbing the stresses applied through structure movements in service. Stresses are caused by the movement of the pipe structures through thermal expansion at elevated operating temperatures, pipe deflections and natural movement. The material will absorb such stresses without cracking or buckling.
- Provides jet fire protection up to 120 minutes duration with the back face temperature rise of the steelwork below 400°C
- Suitable for offshore environments
- Absorbs stresses caused by movement of the pipe structure
- Designed for low maintenance and ‘life in field
- Can be used as a gap filler on rigid PFP applications in order to provide a penetration seal for protrusions susceptible to vibration
Download the latest ContraFlame Splash Zone Risers Protection System brochure to find out more.
Download the latest ContraFlame MS400 + C50 Underdeck and Bulkhead Insulation & Fireproofing Systems brochure to find out more.