Our marine team recently provided the operators of a fishing vessel operating in the North Sea with an effective fendering solution, to ensure their crew and vessel are protected against changeable and often inhospitable weather conditions.
The operator had several specific requirements that our team provided solutions for:
- Vessel visibility | to protect their crew, the operators wanted the vessel to be visible, even in low light or stormy weather. Recommending the use of luminescent orange as the colour for the fender will help to ensure that it is visible. A range of colours are available, but it was suggested that orange would be most suited to this environment
- Suitable fixing method | as the vessel is made from HDPE, one of the traditional methods of fixing the fender to the vessel by gluing, would not work
- No holes in the vessel | the operator wanted to avoid fendering bolted to the vessel. Our team provided a solution which has a plate inside the fendering, which is then bolted to a plate on the top and bottom of the vessel; allowing the fendering to be secured whilst meeting their requirements.
As well as meeting the requirements of the operator, the lightweight, foam-filled fendering we supplied:
- Helps to reduce fuel consumption, important for a vessel that may be out at sea for a long time
- Has high energy absorption properties, ensuring maximum protection of the vessel.
It wasn’t a requirement for this operator, but our fendering can also be given an anti-slip coating.
If you are an operator and need to update or replace your vessel fendering, talk to our marine team.